[Asymptote] Welcome to Asymptote Club!

zebmccorkle zebmccorkle at asymptote.club
Wed Jul 4 01:40:31 UTC 2018

Welcome to Asymptote Club!

Most of you are from Lobsters, and I have to say I have seen far more
response than I expected when I posted Asymptote Club about 2 days ago.
As some of you might know, I stopped accepting new registrations from
Lobsters users this morning, so I'm writing a welcome email to everyone
who has been registered.

Your Asymptote Club account grants you access to many services, all
running on free (as in freedom) software. If you have any suggestions
for more services, contact me (especially if you have experience
administrating them).

You can see a full list of Asymptote Club services on the homepage, at
https://asymptote.club/. Announcements of new services, planned server
downtime, etc. will be made on this mailing list. Also, it is highly
recommended to open your favorite Matrix client
(https://asymptote.club/matrix is easy) and join the Asymptote Lounge
channel. It's a place to hang out, discuss Asymptote/free
software/anything else, and also where lots of discussion of Asymptote's
management happens. I'm pretty sure I've invited you all, so you should
see an invitation when you log in. If you don't, send me
(@zebmccorkle:asymptote.club) a message and I'll invite you.

Now for some more information about the infrastructure Asymptote runs
on. It's currently in stage 1, where the infrastructure is hosted on
Vultr VPSes with Ubuntu GNU/Linux. At this stage, we have 3 VPSes:

 - Freddie
   freddie.asymptote.network
   Authentication server (runs account.asymptote.club and the LDAP
   server)

   512MB RAM, 20GB SSD, 1 "vCore"
   $2.50/mo

 - Gopher
   gopher.asymptote.network
   Service server (runs Git, CI, Matrix, paste server, homepage)

   2GB RAM, 40GB SSD, 1 "vCore"
   $10.00/mo

 - Major
   major.asymptote.network
   User content server (runs mail, static site hosting, shell, home
   directories via NFS)

   512MB RAM, 20GB SSD + 50GB Vultr Block Storage mounted to /nethome, 1
   "vCore"
   $2.50/mo

Currently, I'm footing the bill for them. If someone wants to chip in,
you can get in touch with me. In the future, I'd like to upgrade to a
dedicated server so we have more flexibility with experimenting with
more services and potentially providing (small) VPSes to members'
projects.

Lastly, I'm a full time student who is currently in summer break. Once
school starts again in the fall, I won't have nearly as much time to
work on Asymptote Club. I'd like to install some sort of governance
model so that I'm not the sole adminstrator and sole point of contact
for issues by then. Discussion on this is welcome.

Thanks for coming aboard this project of mine, and I hope Asymptote Club
continues far into the future.

--
Zebulon McCorkle
zebmccorkle at asymptote.club | https://keybase.io/zebMcCorkle